Being paid to play

Discussion in 'General Games Discussion' started by caparica007, Oct 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peninha

Peninha Guest

Sometimes they pay really well Killager and on top of that you do what you love. ;)

2. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Guest

Exactly. You're intentionally doing the same actions over and over again, trying to literally break the game since game testers are nothing more than bug and glitch finders. You're not playing the game; you're breaking it over and over again. The pay is actually relatively low, and you could earn minimum wage in some cases. It's a lot less dreamy than people think.

3. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Guest

Yeah, it's not exactly playing the game, but testing it, looking for bugs, it's not so entertaining as playing.

4. januz101

januz101 Guest

You really have to be extra lucky to participate as a game tester in prestigious game developer companies.

5. Strykstar

Strykstar Guest

It's work, plain and simple.
    It's not just fun and games, it's doing the same thing over and over again to make sure that the same thing always happens, I can't think of many more repetitive and stressful jobs to be honest.

6. conker

conker Guest

I noticed a few job postings for testers at Ubisoft, they have a division in my country, but I had to relocate in order to work and that was no option considering the mediocre pay. So I tried my hand at other things involving games, like design. I learned AS3 and made a small flash game, yay! Other than this I guess I'd like to make some game related videos but we'll see.

7. in my dreams haha, but seriously.. how does one go about getting a job like this? seems right up my alley

8. Profit5500

Profit5500 Guest

I know about this too and I first thought about doing this job to make some income. Then when I realize you have to know about programming and development I just decided that I would find something else. I just do not know how much they pay for game testers.

9. xTinx

xTinx Guest

Since we're basically talking about being paid to play a game, then how about this to burst all our bubbles: http://online.wsj.com/articles/youtube-star-plays-videogames-earns-4-million-a-year-1402939896. I was simply blown away with this piece of news. That kid earns three times more than my parents' income put together. Lord knows how some people work so hard and still couldn't earn this much. Wow, why isn't there an exclusive course for gaming? I'd have decided to do this since I was in diapers.

10. EritoBeef

EritoBeef NexusGamingRL Organizer

Did you just call Pewds a KID? He's 24 Years old.
    Also, In America I believe there's a school or university that actually has League Of Legends classes, practicing rooms or something like that. (LoL is an actual professional sport)
    If you know how to entertain people by playing games, you may get a bunch of subscribers and join a Network on youtube and get paid for it via google adsense (ads). But don't think its easy job, at all. You will have to make your schedule on when you're gonna record/edit/upload videos, and I'd recommend having a solid internet connection that doesn't screw you over like Comcast.

11. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Guest

If you just look online you'll find some offers that you can apply Noah, good luck! :)

12. caparica007

caparica007 Guest

That's true, it's a matter of opportunity or eventually knowing someone in the business that get's us in.

13. crazyman1090

crazyman1090 Guest

I don't think I would enjoy getting paid to play. Getting paid to play essentially makes what you are supposed to find fun your work, kind of taking away the "fun" aspect of it and turning it into work, which everyone hates to do. Also, if I play a game for too long, it just gets way too boring for me to have any fun with it. However, if you are getting paid while you are playing (I know, it sounds ridiculous) such as a successful Twitch streamer or Youtuber, this is probably the best. You are doing what you love and you are getting paid basically by your viewers who watch your content and enjoy it.

14. el_gatu

el_gatu Guest

To be honest a lot of people have said it before, but testing games is more alike quality assurance testing rather than playing the actual game. From what I heard the pay is roughly that of minimum wage.

quote author=Gelsemium link=topic=1694.msg9866#msg9866 date=1412605460]
    Those are great and I would not mind to be a streamer at home as well, I heard that they earn a lot on donations.
    [/quote]

Now in this scenario it may be a better alternative, if you start streaming you may become a twitch partner, gain money via subscriptions and donations from viewers. The thing that you have to think about Twitch or Youtube is that you're getting paid for entertainment value. This means that you are actively trying to entertain your audience, which may distract you from your game.

15. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Guest

I am already considering my setup as a streamer, it would be great, I've seen those streamers and the donations entering are impressive!

16. jackhaal

jackhaal Guest

Well of the pay is decent I think that I'd like to play those games. I am definitely good at pointing out bugs and all that kind of stuff sink don't think that I would have a very big problem with it to be honest. Itd also be quite fun I think so that's always a good side to it.

17. 93simon

93simon Guest

I know it may seem the work of your dreams but you can't just play without worries. It's a job, you need to pause to take notes, do everything in the game you are assigned (don't think you can choose it) even though something may be boring to you. Also, you may end up testing a game made for babies or an educational one, who knows. Don't think you're going to play the next GTA before any other just because you're a beta tester.

18. caparica007

caparica007 Guest

Yep, maybe it looks dreamy on paper, but if we ever got to do it we would find it annoying. Even so I'd love I could try it.

19. Peninha

Peninha Guest

lol, sure we would all love to try it, I feel that even being a tester is better than many other jobs.

20. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Guest

I have never applied, I think that if we do it we just might get lucky, we will never know without trying.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.