Being paid to play

Discussion in 'General Games Discussion' started by caparica007, Oct 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shreklock

shreklock Guest

If I wouldn't like to play it, I probably won't, unless the pay would be too good to let go of. Being forced to play takes the fun away.

2. SEAdams

SEAdams Guest

Yeah as soon as money gets involved it becomes a job. Of course it is also possible to have a job you love so maybe it wouldn't be all bad.

3. My uncle is actually a paid gamer but only as a side thing. He frequently tells us that there is not that much money to be made unless your at the top which takes several years and concentration only on that job. So you could pursue your dream job but don't expect much in the beginning! My uncle did say that it is a very fun job until you have to write a review.

4. Servace

Servace Guest

I am pretty sure that mostly every on who plays a game will want to have this as a job. Who doesn't want to get paid to play games all day? Time will fly by so quick.

5. caparica007

caparica007 Guest

That's true, but it's not exactly playing from what I've been seeing, it's to test the game which isn't as nice.

6. Sefie

Sefie Guest

Eh, the idea of being a game tester doesn't sound fun to me at all, because well, playing a game over and over in search of bugs sounds like a mighty boring and tiresome job. I mean, what if this repetitive and boring job makes you hate playing game during your free time or make it impossible for you to enjoy any other video games.

Plus game testers in general do more than testing the game, they also know a good deal of coding and so on. But if you are an actual game tester for a video game site or magazine who is paid to review and play game,s then awesome! That's an awesome job, but as a side thing only tho.

7. Sefie

Sefie Guest

Oh yeah, I started watching his videos since before and he became famous and wow...I can't help but to feel amazed at how fast he became famous and rich! It's amazing how fast he did it! Since the start I kinda knew he'd b big, but not this big! He is living a dream! All because he started a YouTube channel and started doing what he loved without expecting anything in exchange. I guess that's what happens when you do something you truly enjoy and are passionate about.

8. valiantx

valiantx Guest

I wouldn't mind being a game tester, but it would get annoying after awhile if I play a lot of mediocre or garbage games.

Also, game testers require a lot of knowledge in different fields of arts, which may include knowledge into programming, music, graphics, history, aesthetics, psychology, theism, atheism, mythography, linguistics, philosophy, science, legalities, Law, and a lot more. So I certainly don't recommend myself and others, who aren't highly adaptable or knowledgeable in many areas to be a game tester - Grandma's Boy movie glossed over a lot of details about being a video game tester, and the cannabis use was the filler for this.

9. Baxate

Baxate Guest

This job seems extremely fun, but there is a flip side. Yes, you get too try all the new games coming out that others have to wait months to play. But, you have to play all the bad titles too. I don't know about other people, but I have trouble critiquing something that I really and truly dislike. Imagine having to play an awful game for hours and then having to write a report about it. Or, what if you want to play a game to completion, but only have two hours with it. I still think this job would be really awesome don't get me wrong, I just feel that people tend not to look at the downside.

10. Issae

Issae Guest

I would never, ever do it. As soon as you have a boss, that would just kill the fun for me. There's no way I could 'play a game for fun' with someone telling me test this particular area, or run this particular part of a zone over, and over, and over again. Nope.

It's closer to a nightmare job than a dream job.

11. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Guest

LOL issae, so you prefer not to mix business with pleasure right? I think that I would not mind doing it. :)

12. Issae

Issae Guest

Nooope.

When it comes to fun and relaxation, I don't want to share control of that; and I wouldn't want to put my livelihood on the line. If I wanted to be involved in the gaming industry, it definitely would not be in testing. I wish I could go back in time and learn coding; but given my current skill set, I'd love to be an assistant producer, community manager, or on the marketing team.

13. GlacialDoom

GlacialDoom Guest

I've never been a game tester, but I don't think it's such a fun job. I think you are expected to test out every little feature you can and look out for the smallest bug you can notice while playing the game. I think it would get tedious fast, and I wouldn't mix business with pleasure.

14. NickJ

NickJ Guest

Hollywood glamorizes these sorts of gigs moreso than they are in real life. I have heard of some testers making crazy money testing games. I've also heard of a lot making very little. I guess it depends on the company.

15. Issae

Issae Guest

So, I'm re-reading things...

Are we talking game reviewer or game tester?

I know personalities like Total Biscuit make good money doing game review; and that's actually something I would (and have) considered doing. I just don't have the time to put in the early ground work to get good production value to get that solid foundation going.

But testing.. no.

16. caparica007

caparica007 Guest

Why do you say that a game reviewer is something you'd do, but not a tester? What's so bad in your opinion about being a tester?

17. Issae

Issae Guest

This is just my opinion, your mileage may vary -

Game reviewer is basically talking about games, many games and many different types of games. Sure, you can't just think of it as "having fun playing games", you have to make it a job. Take notes, organize thoughts, write scripts. Maybe you have an editor that is your boss and you answer too, or maybe you have a schedule on your YouTube or twitch channel that you adhere to; but for the most part, it seems like you're calling your own shots and more specifically, you're utilizing creative and critical thinking to make communicate your perception of the game to an audience.

Testing... I don't think you're going to be given free realm to 'hey, play this and when you reach max level, let me know if you find any bugs'. The coders probably update a system, add a dialogue, or create a zone; then they expect you to repeatedly run through that code play-testing it over and over again. I guess you can be creative in how many different ways you try testing the same code, but it just seems monotonous if you're given a bug and you have to test it over and over again to see when it's duplicated to help the coders narrow down how to fix it.

18. Calcium

Calcium Guest

I can't really speak for testing games but as someone who's been paid to play at competitive gaming levels, it's something I don't want to do again. Being paid to play is great for a bit but at some point your entire life revolves around video games (if you don't know how to manage). If gaming is your only hobby and your job is to game, you're probably going to get burnt out. It's hard to understand if you haven't been through it.

19. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Guest

Calcium, were you paid well to pay competitively? And why did you find that it was bad, was it too much gaming for you?

20. Robbinho14

Robbinho14 Guest

I think your best bet is getting famous on twitch/youtube you can definately get rich with streaming/recording. On twitch if you have a solid viewerbase you can easily make $100+. I used to stream GTA 5 when it just came out and had about 1000 daily viewers. Made around $1000 dollars in 1 week.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.