Do game reviews affect your decision?

Discussion in 'General Games Discussion' started by pinkenvelope, Sep 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pinkenvelope

pinkenvelope Guest

Before buying a game, I always check game review sites especially when they are on sale. For instance, even if the game is very cheap on Steam, I still look for extensive reviews to make sure that I will get my money's worth. If the reviews are not that good, I skip the game. If they are good, even if the game is expensive, I still buy it.

Do you read game reviews as well? How do they affect you?

2. fint90

fint90 Hey I'm Shootcity, I stream on Twitch

I always check youtube I find popular games on there are more reliable for some reason..

3. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Guest

I check game reviews on occasion, especially for PC games. The reviews often cover any major glitches or issues that reviewers experienced, which is always helpful information. I don't always let poor reviews stop me from purchasing a game, but they do make a difference from time to time. Some reviews are simply interesting reads.

4. azrmacc

azrmacc Guest

I check game reviews occasionally, but I never really rely on it. I'd think of it as a guideline, but I'd check it out on my own anyway. I'd still end up buying or playing the game even if reviews are negative, just because I'm that curious. It's because I have a very weird taste in games, a lot of people might not like a particular one but I might love it, and vice versa.

5. Peninha

Peninha Guest

Game reviews don't affect much my choice of games, unless the review is really bad and it's trashing the game, in that case I seriously consider not buying it of course. :)

6. Xenoyia

Xenoyia It's me
    Staff Member

I don't really buy games if they have bad reviews, so I suppose so

7. Reviews definitely play a part in my decision on buying a game. If the reviews are so bad and there's a lot of people supporting the negative review, I will not push through with the purchase. If it's a really bad game, then it's not worth my money.

8. EritoBeef

EritoBeef NexusGamingRL Organizer

I recently only buy games that i see my fav youtubers play so. I think so.

9. Nevi

Nevi Guest

Yes, but some of the reviews are biased, some games i feel i have to give it a shot then judge it later on, some games i enjoy others don't its just a matter of personal preference.

10. murtoz

murtoz Adept

I see a game I like, I buy it/wait a few weeks before I have money. So no :)

11. spittser

spittser Guest

Not really, no. I'm very particular in the games I choose to play. I'm not one that requires super fancy graphics, or even a good story for that matter. What I want is replayability and gameplay that sucks me right in and is able to keep me playing for the better part of a year, preferably longer.

With that said, if someone says "you've gotta try this game, it's amazing" well of course I'm going to at least give it a shot :D

12. Nero

Nero Guest

Sometimes it does. If for example it is a game that has sucky game play, I would check youtube videos for the game to see if it is good or not. There are times when I just know that it is a good game, such as Pokemon games.

13. Splash

Splash Guest

Reviews do help me in deciding whether to buy a game or not. Problem with reviews is that they are subjective and ratings are often affected by reviewer's sympathy towards a game rather than objective reasoning. For example, IGN always gives new Call of Duty games excellent ratings and they write biased reviews just because they are fans of the franchise. Reading multiple user reviews is a more reliable way of estimating game's quality than just reading reviews from gaming portals.

14. Maniak21

Maniak21 Guest

Not really, as I don't read reviews very often. But when I do, I only read them to know if the game has potential or not. Considering that if the review does not try to sell you that game, I can say that I can take a lot of useful information out of it and eventually it might have a slight influence on my opinion about the game, but it can't change it completely. I think that first impression is the most important, and to change that, a video has more chances to do that rather than an article, for example your favorite youtuber makes a video playing that game, your opinion can easily change because you might want to give it another shot.

15. lauradaura04

lauradaura04 Guest

It really depends on how much I want it. If the game is part of a series then I would usually just buy it unless it was really glitchy. For newer games that had no previous history I would definitely read reviews!

16. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Guest

I don't really care that much. I often just watch reviews to see what the game is about and what are the features that it packs. Some reviewers exaggerate some time and I like to have a personal opinion on everything.
    Although if the game has a really bad review it somehow affects my decision.

17. Peninha

Peninha Guest

I think most people act like that, we already know enough about the games we love to know if it's worth it to buy or not, sure, a review might help in some cases.

18. Zyni

Zyni Guest

Too often, I see reviews that are more hype than genuine review. I might learn something from a review, and it might sway my opinion a little, but it isn't going to be the determining factor in whether or not I make a purchase. If I'm unsure of a game, I may even wait until I can check out some player reviews, or at least see what people are saying in Beta. I've read some reviews where it's obvious that the person writing it doesn't even play the game.

19. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Guest

Reviews play into my decision making process but ultimately I make the final decision. Honestly, I trust my friends and family more than I do a lot of these professional reviewers. They usually give me a pretty good idea of how good or bad a game is.

20. moneyman

moneyman Guest

I rarely make decisions of buying new games based on online reviews. I just buy games of the series I have played before and which I have liked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.