Do game reviews affect your decision?

Discussion in 'General Games Discussion' started by pinkenvelope, Sep 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. indy4s

indy4s Guest

Unfortunately, for the longest time I was easily swayed by IGN reviews. Back in my more naive days I considered IGN to be the end all be all of gaming news. I would take their reviews by heart and downright stop thinking about a game I was excited for if the IGN review was less than stellar. Now, I know to let the game float around a little and then pick it up if I'm still interested.

2. rjosro

rjosro Guest

The problem with reviews, is oftentimes the big names buy reviewers. You go into it expecting what the reviewer promised because they were paid to do so, but you end up with a game that doesn't meet expectations. Of course, this usually only applies to bad games, but for me, I prefer to just try games that look good for myself and see what happens. Worst case scenario? Return it and try another game.

3. valiantx

valiantx Guest

Reviews are like quick guides to what one is interested in investing or purchasing, and I always have a difference of opinion with any reviews, regardless of how logical or factual such a read may be.

"imagination, is more important than facts." Albert Einstein

In other words, I'll use my mental faculties to determine how good or bad a game is, because I will always be the first and last to judge what I wish or desire for.

4. calicer1996

calicer1996 Guest

Yes, sure they do. But only reviews from reputable sites like ign or gamespot. Just like the movie reviews, I like to read the gaming reviews before buying one.

5. Heather

Heather Guest

I decide on whether I play a game or not based on reviews. I want to know what it's in store before I dive in. If the game boasts nice features but has a bad or dead community, I'm skipping it. I do have some exceptions like when a friend recommends me something :>

6. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Guest

Game reviews have it's value, especially when coming from gamers, but I believe that if we see the youtube video of the game we pretty much know if we will like it or not. Some details we just know when playing, so there's when the review matters.

7. MisterRay97

MisterRay97 Guest

Reviews greatly affect my purchase decision. The reason why I don't like pre-ordering is due to the fact that I'd prefer to read reviews before buying any game. I'm mostly affected by negative reviews. I'd likely not buy a game even if I wanted it if it has lots of negative reviews. I prefer reading Metacritic user reviews and Steam reviews before making a purchase decision.

8. Jackah

Jackah Guest

Game reviews certainly do affect my opinion - I will always look for YouTube videos or text-based reviews before deciding whether I buy a game. The popularity of the game also matters.

9. Strykstar

Strykstar Guest

I do read reviews but I don't let them affect me much, what does affect me are playthroughs or quick looks of the game, I think that's the best way to see if I will like it or not.

10. Peninha

Peninha Guest

I think that when we have played enough reviews don't care that much. Sometimes reviews are nothing more than propaganda from the game maker, so we should pay attention to that as well.

11. GamerGirl

GamerGirl Guest

I'm old school and read an actual gaming magazine. On paper. Yeah, baby.

It does pretty much steer me, but I'll sometimes check out MetaCritic. I try and keep up with what's out because very often I'll take a punt on something if I see it cheap or second hand.

12. Zyni

Zyni Guest

Agreed. All the hype starts to turn me off, especially when a company starts getting a reputation for hyping stuff that ends up later being cut. It happens, but for some game companies, it happens too often.

13. caparica007

caparica007 Guest

I agree with you guys, we should check for independent reliable sources, like this forum for example, here we can believe in reviews, in other places? I don't know.

14. Assossa

Assossa Guest

I always watch some gameplay on youtube before I buy any game.

15. nerdygirly12

nerdygirly12 Guest

I read reviews occasionally. Mostly for fun/interest. They don't influence what I buy very much, though. Usually I know about the game before I want to buy it. I would consider reviews if the game was brand new and I didn't have any information on it at all.

16. shilpa123

shilpa123 Guest

I prefer to check out the game reviews before buying any game. I think it is very important that one understands the concept of games before trying them out. I use any websites that come my way. I think it is really important that you discuss the games with your friends or I the forums to know people's views and knowing the people's view whom you actually know very well is quite important.

17. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Guest

Sure, I am not spending my money without understanding what I am buying, but these days we can see videos, so why do we need reviews for?

18. MisterRay97

MisterRay97 Guest

I agree with you on the propaganda part. Some games from developers (like EA and Activision) have top notch scores, but most of the users and user reviews say that the game is pathetic. I usually rely on user reviews more.

19. hamz10

hamz10 Guest

I only check reviews if I've briefly heard of a game. If a want it for sure, I won't read any reviews at all but for example. Watch Dogs was really hyped but super bugged. The reviews changed my decision and I never bought it.

20. polski691

polski691 Guest

I have felt that some game reviewers tend to be biased towards some gaming companies or IPs (not naming any names here) so much so that, for some part, game reviews are becoming less reliable. Like fint90 said before me, YouTubers are much easier to believe in their reviews as they have next to no outside pressure on them to say things in support of a game they find abysmal. TotalBiscuit comes to mind, who single-handedly began the rightful onslaught on Day One: Garry's Incident.

So, while I do let reviews influence my opinion of a game beforehand. I would really trust the reviews of YouTubers over gaming publications.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.