Do game reviews affect your decision?

Discussion in 'General Games Discussion' started by pinkenvelope, Sep 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peninha

Peninha Guest

Like you say polski and other posters above as well, and to avoid that bias nothing like knowing for ourselves or with someone we trust, not those general reviews.

2. Daniburu

Daniburu Guest

I usually watch game play videos and then decide for myself whether or not I should buy it. I generally don't really listen to reviews until after I have an understanding of the game play. After watching game play, then you'll know what flaws the reviewer is pointing out to you rather than them telling you "Yeah it sucked."

3. techbeast34

techbeast34 Guest

Yeah, a bit. Ever since Gamergate though, it's hard to know what to trust. Now, if I really want to play a game, I'll just download a trial if it's available, or I'll pirate the game, and if I like it, then I'll support the developers.

4. RamZor

RamZor Guest

Whenever I wanna buy a new game I tend to watch a lot of reviews. To be honest, they do help me make up my mind if I should buy the game or not. If the game is getting low ratings I will probably not buy the game.

5. I rarely check game reviews, honestly. Sometimes I'll look up Youtube videos before getting a game, just to see the trailer. I mean, the only thing I really listen to when it comes to someone else's opinion is if somebody I know tells me it's bad, or something like that, but otherwise, I'll just find out how it is for myself.

6. Muraki

Muraki Guest

Yes they do affect my decision every time.

I mean you want to look back after you bought a game and not want to cry for spending so much money on a game you don't even like. So the best solution is to try to inform yourself about it without spoiling the game to yourself. The best way to do that is to read reviews of those who bought them since there mostly won't be any spoilers and it will be only talked about the quality of the game. You could also watch some game play videos but that is just going to spoil the fun of the game.

So yes I do like to take them in consideration but I am careful if there are only a hand full of really positive comments there since that could have been also just advertisement for the game.

7. Peninha

Peninha Guest

Reviews as games are a big business, sometimes they are a part of the marketing of the game, so the most important is to see with our own eyes.

8. Henry

Henry Guest

Well, yes, sometimes they do. I always watch gameplays on Youtube before I start playing a game. I just don't want to waste my time playing something that's not worth it when I could be playing something a lot better. But I have to admit that I've played some games with bad reviews that were awesome.

9. Sometimes I check the review just for a general idea what people think about it, but I have discovered there have been games over the years that have gotten a horrible rating, but I loved the game. So now I sometimes look, but most of the time you can find some video made by Angry Joe and he will give you a good honest review of how he liked the game and I usually do that. Can't put my trust in reviews because say someone loves a game and then the other person hates it.

10. rachael

rachael Guest

It really depends for me. It depends if the game is standalone or a part of a franchise. I will pay more attention to bad reviews for standalone games because I haven't already attached myself to the storyline of the game. But if it's a game with a bad review, but one I've wanted to play for a long time I'll usually see if there are any LP videos, so I can check out the game play without committing to the game.

11. Peninha

Peninha Guest

Reviews can work as a business strategy, so I rely more in what I see or in the opinion of a friend than in the review in itself.

12. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Guest

Sure, I always ask my friends their opinion, it's great to have friends that play games because in that way we always know what to count on.

13. Qarnage

Qarnage Guest

Honestly no. I watch gaming reviews mostly for the footage, not for the commentary. I'm quite good at making choices by myself about which game to buy. I do have to mention that I take VERY negative reviews into account when I look for games though, those are most of the time a big turn off for me. Negative reviews often go more in-depth about what is bad, in comparison, good reviews will often remain rather on the surface while saying things like: yeah the gameplay was pretty good.

14. bleuuu

bleuuu Guest

They do more so now than they used to. Before I would buy a game if it looked interesting to me. Now you can see so many reviews for a game, that you think oh this is going to suck. Of course if there is a demo out for it, I would give that a try and see how it is compared to the review. Luckily demo's are starting to come out on consoles.

15. moaz13

moaz13 Guest

Not reviews but I do take TotalBiscuit's first impressions into account, he made me stop from purchasing so many games I liked that turned out terrible.

16. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Guest

I always check for game reviews. Do they persuade me to buy a game or not? Depends on the game, the hype behind it, and if it is a known series that I liked in the past.

Every now and then a friend of mine would give me a recommendation for a game.

17. shreklock

shreklock Guest

They do, but sometimes I want to try the game myself, so I'd say that the reviews aren't doing a huge impact, unless they are exceptionally good.

18. sidney

sidney Guest

I don't buy games anymore, I only download them for free nowadays, but when I used to buy cd-roms, I don't really check for the reviews as well. I check them after I have played the game to see if my opinion is the same or not with the author.

19. tinyfang

tinyfang Guest

It depends on whether the developer is a company I normally trust and/or find enjoyment out of. If it's a relatively unknown company, then I would say it affects about 70% of my decision. If it is a known company, then I say it's about 40%. Reason being the other % would be made up of other research such as what the players say about those games at their respective forums and what the game play videos look like.

20. januz101

januz101 Guest

Game review sites are always worth the shot if you want to check out how the game you are considering to buy is worth the penny or not. But you need to have a reliable user feedback to come up with that decision. So sites which already has a good amount of reputation about providing information on a game should be the choice. Review sites only get 40% vote on my decision making whether or not I should buy a game. The remaining 60% is about its price. Whether or not its worth every penny that I will spend and if its still within my budget range.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.