Do you behave differently in online games than IRL?

Discussion in 'General Games Discussion' started by Zyni, Oct 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zyni

Zyni Guest

I've seen people act like jerks in games but then say, "I'm a really nice guy in real life." If that's true, why not be a nice guy in game as well? Does the sense of anonymity online make people bigger jerks in your opinion? Since you're never going to see those people in real life?

2. januz101

januz101 Guest

Who knows? Maybe some players are just bipolar and their illness kicks in when playing online games. Or they just do it for fun since they are anonymous, they chose to act like jerks and try to get everybody piss at them. I often act as a jerk when I play online games. Games are often an outlet for me to release stress so sometimes I vent out my frustrations on weak players. Maybe thats what happens to most of the players who act as a jerk inside the game. By the way Im a really nice guy in person.

3. Zyni

Zyni Guest

Well, there are real people behind the avatars. I don't think it's okay to take your stuff out them any more than it is to do so in real life.

4. indy4s

indy4s Guest

Personally, I find that people actually act a little more noble at times when they play online. That's been my majority experience though. I do believe that a layer of anonymity adds a bit of buffer space for people to be shmucks, however I seem to encounter people who are nice and don't really blow their top at anything.

5. shilpa123

shilpa123 Guest

I think thieving in games is really cool as it helps a person to have a lot of fun by thieving at least in the virtual world. Sadly I have never come across such games and I am still searching for such games. I will surely look into the games mentioned above where thieving sounds really fun and exciting. I think more and more games should put such facilities in their games to make it very interesting as well as exciting.

6. tinyfang

tinyfang Guest

My attitude inside a gaming environment is the same as if I am out of virtual reality. The only difference is that within a gaming/virtual environment, I have more freedom to become a better version of myself. For example, outside of virtual reality, I would say I am a relatively decent person, but my personal issues restrict me to what I am capable of doing given the circumstances. Within a virtual environment, I tend to take my best traits as a person and boost it. I believe this is what I can be if I was given the opportunity to be a person I want to be.

Mind you, that's not saying I do not have my buttface moments, but I excuse this on my mood and the circumstances that lead up to being a buttface. You will however, never or most likely never see me be a total jerk, asshat, obnoxious prick, etc.

7. Sefie

Sefie Guest

I'm a nice person and have always been nice in online games, but I think this can't be applied to everyone. But you can easily see who is really evil or a jerk in real life by seeing how he acts online.

Some people find it easier to act like jerks, be trolls and just be plain evil online, so they do it. That speaks volumes of who they really are, but sometimes people act a bit upset because they had a bad that, in that case well... we are all human! But if someone acts badly every single day online, then that's a clear sign that person is just a jerk IRL.

But I think we shouldn't judge so fast, sometimes people might not be in a very good mood, maybe something bad happened that day. That's why I always just assume they just had a bad day, also IRL, but if the thing keeps repeating over and over or very often at least, then I know my answer.

8. Sefie

Sefie Guest

Wow, what game have you been playing? LOL. You must have been playing a different game to the one I was playing ;) But I really think some games seem to attract certain type of people, like for example some games I tried in the past seemed to attract mostly kids, others mostly grown up mature nice adults and so on. The games with teens are the worst, I swear teens can be jerks! But I understand that, because I was a teen not so long ago.

9. My personality really doesn't change when it comes to online games.. I'm just as silly in IRL. I know a lot of people that act extremely different though and it's so strange.

10. Calcium

Calcium Guest

I used to be very different in-game as I was quite the toxic asshole, very different in real life, super laid-back and chill but I guess at the time they just brought out my bad side.

I've changed a lot since then and I'm pretty much the same ingame and irl (relax and chill!)

11. Thejamal

Thejamal Guest

I think everyone acts differently online, simply because you're not face to face with someone and can "hide' behind the computer. Plenty of I've acted differently in a skype call playing WoW than I would actually talking with someone in person or even just on the phone not playing a game. Its just part of the online gaming culture a bit to act differently.

12. Squigly

Squigly Guest

It's much harder to get away with toxic behavior in real life, so some people look to act like jerks online. While it's a pretty inevitable aspect that comes with the anonymity of the Web, I try not to stoop to their level. Just mute/ignore them. You know as they say, don't feed the trolls.

13. azrmacc

azrmacc Guest

I have the same attitude in game and in real life. I have no reason to change attitude or do pretend. However, I've encountered people who are the opposite. They're total jerks in game, but act like angels in real life. Still, I believe that a person's true attitude reflects while they're in game. Know why? Because when you're in a game, you're anonymous, and there are less restrictions to express what you really feel like doing. Want to cuss someone out to death? Go ahead. In real life, you can't just do anything you please, you have to consider the people around you that know you and will remember you.

14. Qarnage

Qarnage Guest

I do think I'm a little more outspoken to strangers on the net than I am in real life. There's not really a reason why I do so, it's just that talking on the internet is easier because you can remain anonymous if you want to. I wouldn't say I'm a jerk online though, my personality is exactly the same as it is in real life, I'm just faster to say certain things on the internet. I also don't think that's a bad thing either, it kind of teaches me what I can and what I can't say in the real world.

15. jackslivi

jackslivi Guest

I totally agree with you. If you think about it, people used to hide their identity online. Now we seem to not really bat an eye at it. Online gaming is kinda the same way. I think people hide who they really are on there because they want to seem like they are the best. Gaming really goes to people heads. If people knew they were facing a nerd who wears huge glasses, people would think that they could beat him at the game until he actually played and beat everyone. It is kind of like their own world hidden of what they want to be. I am pretty sure that is why. And who does not like to be someone else sometimes. It is nice to get away from this world that we live in now, to be that awesome hero in the game.

16. pinkenvelope

pinkenvelope Guest

I had my fair share of encounters with OL jerks especially when playing MMORPGs. I try not to be affected too much by their behavior because after all, I don't know them in real life. Anyway, j do not act in a different way. I treat people the same way both online and in real life.

17. MisterRay97

MisterRay97 Guest

I'm a bit more open and liberal in games while I'm pretty silent and reserved in real life. I kinda have social anxiety while interacting with people in real life, but that anxiety doesn't exist while I'm online.

18. JorjSimeonov

JorjSimeonov Guest

I used to be very quiet in real life, but a loud ass jerk in online video games. Nowadays I try to be nice to people in MMOs or atleast try not to waste their time by being an idiot and insulting them. I guess most of us stop being dicks online once we've grown up.

19. Nero

Nero Guest

I always act nice in games and in real life. I just act rude if they act rude to me. I don't see why many people can be so rude though online in games, there is literally no benefit to it. It only brings hate to you and might even get you kicked or banned.

20. Zyni

Zyni Guest

I like you. That's basically my attitude as well.

None of us is perfect, so sure, we all have buttface moments. I just don't get people who seem to log on just to be nasty to other people.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.